HCL OFFICIALLY WITHDRAWN > History
EARLY CHRONOLOGY OF HCL
Chronology of HCL taken from the paper:
1890 – In the early 1890’s Gratia Countryman brought books to county residents.
1915 – Miss Josephine Cloud assisted Miss Countryman with deliveries. Nils Barlindhang – first book wagon driver.
1922 – Miss Josephine Cloud assigned first Director of Hennepin County Library. Miss Pearl Sabin replaces Miss Cloud. Miss Pauline Field replaces Miss Sabin. First year staff included Miss Fabian, stenographer; Loren Cahlender, errand boy; Miss Bakken, clerk. In July a Model T Ford book wagon was added. Francis Matson, first driver.
1925 – 1947 – Miss Ethel Berry was director of Hennepin County Library from February 1925 – October 1947.
1925 – Miss Field resigns and is replaced by Miss Ethel Berry.
1932 – The second book wagon, a Dodge, needed replacing. Carl Hagen was the driver.
1933-37 – New book truck with a REO chassis…
1938 – Miss Beryl Leigl, first assistant at Hennepin County Library headquarters, resigns and is replaced by Miss Helen Young.
1939 – Carl Hagen, book truck driver, resigns and is replaced by Olaf Jacobsen.
1947 – Miss Berry resigns and is replaced by Miss Young as Director. Miss Margaret Cutler was appointed as Miss Young’s assistant.
1951 – New bookmobile built on 1-1/2 ton Dodge truck.
1954 – Miss Arlene Russell joins staff. Book circulation reaches 1 million.
1958 – Book delivery truck added. Second bookmobile added.
Excerpted from History of the Hennepin County Library, Thelma Jones, 1962